Winter has arrived, a cool chill is in the air, and it’s the perfect time to cozy up with a steaming cup of hot cocoa.
While we love a classic cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows, we know we have an entire season of sipping this yummy beverage ahead of us. So, we thought it would be fun to share some ideas on how you can add a twist to a classic cocoa recipe.
This year, mix things up and try our recipes that put a twist on one of the world’s most favorite winter drinks.
Raspberry Hot Chocolate Recipe
Fruit and chocolate are a match made in heaven. So, it’s no surprise that this raspberry hot chocolate recipe is nothing short of amazing.
Give it a try…
- 12 ounces (roughly 3 1/2 cups) fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Mini marshmallows or whipped cream, for topping
- In a medium saucepan, combine the raspberries, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil then boil for 3-5 minutes or until the raspberries are cooked down and the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and push through a strainer or sieve, discarding the seeds left behind. You should have roughly 1 cup puree.
- In another medium saucepan, heat the milk until hot (but not boiling).
- Whisk in the cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and raspberry puree. Serve immediately.
- Top with marshmallows or whipped cream.
Vegan Chai Hot Chocolate Recipe
Hot chai tea or a steaming cup of cocoa…how can you possibly choose? The good news is that with this recipe you don’t have to! Get the best of both worlds by mixing up this vegan chai hot chocolate recipe.
Check it out…
- 2 cups vanilla almond milk, sweetened
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Chai Spice
- Place all ingredients in a medium size saucepan.
- Bring to a rolling boil and stir until spices and cocoa powder have dissolved.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Red Velvet Hot Chocolate Recipe
This red velvet hot chocolate recipe combines two classics–a traditional cup of hot chocolate and the delicious taste of red velvet cake. And boy is it delicious! “Have your cake and drink it too” with this tasty drink.
Give it a try…
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 teaspoon red gel no-taste food coloring
Ingredients for whipping cream:
- Vanilla sugar
- Vanilla sugar whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar (No vanilla sugar? Add regular sugar and a drop of vanilla extract)
For whipped cream:
- Add heavy cream and vanilla sugar to a cold metal bowl. Either whip by hand with whisk or with hand-held mixer until soft peaks form.
For hot chocolate:
- In a small pan, combine milk, chocolate morsels and food coloring. Gently simmer until hot and all the chocolate is melted.
- Top with freshly whipped cream.
What’s your favorite hot cocoa recipe? Share it with us in the comments below!