Football season is in full swing! And you know what that means? It’s the perfect time to invite your friends or family members over for some game day fun!
As the game day (or night) host, you already know snacks–and lots of them–are expected.
This year, instead of grabbing a bag of Doritos, knock the socks off your guests with some of our halftime favorites.
Not only are the recipes below delicious, but they are also healthy alternatives to most snacks on the grocery store shelves, and we know your friends and family members will love them!
Caprese on a Stick
Caprese on a stick is a great snack for your guests who want to enjoy a light, savory, guilt-free snack. Between the juicy tomatoes, salty mozzarella balls, and fresh basil, you can’t go wrong with this snack on a stick.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (.6 ounce) package fresh basil leaves
- 1 (16 ounce) package small fresh mozzarella balls
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thread a tomato half, a small piece of basil leaf, and a mozzarella ball onto toothpicks until all ingredients are used.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the tomato, cheese and basil, leaving the end of the toothpick clean.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tip: For an extra kick, provide your guests with balsamic vinegar that they can drizzle over the caprese sticks. Yum!
You’re bound to have a few meat-loving football fans at your party. And this Swedish meatball snack recipe is the perfect way to satisfy their “meat tooth.” Best of all, this recipe is easy and can be made ahead of time.
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoons Butter
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon. Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine ground beef, panko, parsley, allspice, nutmeg, onion, garlic powder, pepper, salt and egg. Mix until combined.
- Roll into 12 large meatballs or 20 small meatballs. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Add the meatballs and cook turning continuously until brown on each side and cooked throughout. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
- Add 4 tablespoons butter and flour to skillet and whisk until it turns brown. Slowly stir in beef broth and heavy cream. Add Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard and bring to a simmer until sauce starts to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the meatballs back to the skillet and simmer for another 1-2 minutes. Serve over egg noodles or rice.
Tip: You can make them ahead of time and keep them warm in a crockpot until your guests arrive.
Mini Caramel S’more Cups
Last but not least, we had to include something on the snack list for dessert lovers–mini caramel s’more cups! This mini dessert snack is packed with rich chocolate and sweet caramel. The best part…because they are so little, you don’t have to feel guilty about indulging in 1 or 2 or 7 of them!
- 1 pouch (1 lb. 1.5 oz.) chocolate chip cookie mix
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 36 round chewy caramels in milk chocolate
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 36 mini muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Make cookie dough as directed on package, using butter and egg. Shape dough into 36 (1-inch) balls. Place 1 ball into each muffin cup.
- Bake 8 to 9 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove from oven; firmly press 1 candy into center of each cookie until flush with cookie top. Top each with 3 marshmallows. Bake 2 to 4 minutes longer or until marshmallows are puffed. Cool 30 minutes. Loosen edges of cookie with small metal spatula and remove to cooling racks. Cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips in small resealable freezer plastic bag. Microwave on High about 1 minute or until softened. Gently squeeze bag until chocolate is smooth; cut off tiny corner of bag. Squeeze bag to drizzle chocolate over marshmallows. Let stand until hardened, about 10 minutes.
Tip: Hide some of your freshly made s’more cups so you can enjoy them later!
What’s your favorite game time snack? Let us know in the comments below!