You may already love vinegar as a condiment, but you’re about to fall in love all over again—and for 7 different reasons.
For starters, vinegar is cheap, widely available, and versatile—the ingredients for a handy household item. It is non-toxic and lasts for a very long time without losing strength, and still it does not pollute land, air, or water. Those of us with children or pets especially appreciate that it’s much safer to have under your sink than bleach, ammonia, or other toxic cleaning products.
Take a look at how vinegar can create a happier, healthier, cleaner environment for you and your family:
1. Clean the windows. Instead of spending money on window cleaning chemicals—especially ones that include potentially toxic chemicals—make your own! Mix 2 tablespoons of white vinegar with a gallon of water, and dispense into a used spray bottle. Squirt on, then scrub with newspaper, not paper towels, which cause streaking.
2. Freshen the laundry. Got grass stains? Make a mixture of one-third cup white vinegar and two-thirds cup water. Apply the solution to the stain and blot with a clean cloth. Repeat this process until you’ve removed as much green as possible, and then launder as usual. Toss in a capful of white vinegar for the rest of your load, and your colors will come out bolder and your whites whiter.
3. Remove carpet stains. Spots in carpets often remove with a simple dilution of one-part vinegar, one-sixteenth part lemon juice, and eight parts distilled water.
4. Rinse the produce. Vinegar can help remove bacteria and pesticide residues from fruits and veggies. Mix three parts water with one part white vinegar, and dispense in a spray bottle. Then rinse with water, and enjoy your bacteria-free produce!
5. Bust sticky spots. Having trouble getting that annoying sticky label residue off a product? Vinegar can be used as a solvent to dissolve many common adhesives, and it’s good at cutting grease.
6. Fight hiccups and cramps. If you often get foot or leg cramps in the middle of the night, you may want to try this remedy: mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon of honey, and a cup of hot water. Drink before bed for a cramp-free night!
Some have also said they were able to cure pesky hiccups instantly by swallowing a teaspoon of vinegar.
7. Deter territorial cats. At The Center for Natural Breast Reconstruction, we love all animals! But sometimes you don’t want cats doing their business in your flowerbed. A simple solution is to pour vinegar around the edges of the area you want to protect every few months.
What are your favorite uses for vinegar?