At The Center for Natural Breast Reconstruction, we know the key to a comfortable recovery begins with what you pack for your hospital stay. When preparing for your breast reconstruction surgery, pack the right things can give you some control over the upcoming experience, and can help you prepare mentally, physically, and emotionally. Consider what things may give you comfort and peace of mind, and take those items, along with an optimistic outlook.
Here’s our checklist for things you’ll need to bring along for breast reconstruction surgery, as well as some suggestions for items that will offer you comfort during your visit:
Prepare for Hospital Check-In. Get ready for your hospital stay, and make sure you bring everything you need for check-in paperwork. This includes:
- Your identification
- Your insurance card
- Your checkbook
- Admission papers (if applicable)
Pack Relaxed, Easy Clothing. While packing for your return trip from the hospital, keep in mind that you may have surgical drains, dressings, and tender incisions. Make comfort your top priority when you choose your clothing to wear after your surgery, and bring along:
- Loose tops that close in front. You may not feel like lifting your arms or pulling on anything over your head.
- Elastic-waisted pants. Not only are these are easy to get into and out of, but also easy for someone to help you slip on.
- Slip-on shoes with a good tread. If you don’t want to bend down and tie up shoelaces, have some slip-on shoes at the ready.
- Post-surgical bra. Ask your surgeon which will be best for you—a supportive bra, or a sports bra. Look for a front-closure bra—it may have to fit over your dressings, and having the closure in front gives you more control over getting dressed.
- Robe, slippers and warm, clean cotton socks. There’s nothing more comfortable than a soft bathrobe—and it’s easy to slip on and off without lifting your arms. And it’s always a good idea to keep your feet warm and covered!
Bring the Comforts of Home. Since you will be staying overnight in the hospital, bag up some soothing items that help you pass the time and give you a sense of reassurance, such as:
- Your regular medications.
- Your toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant.
- A makeup kit and some skin lotion to help lift your spirits.
- iPod with earphones so you can listen to your favorite calming music.
- Novels or magazines to occupy your mind while you recover.
- A journal, needlework or other items to keep you comfortable and busy as you rest in the hospital.
- A small comfort pillow for keeping a seatbelt from pressing on your chest during the ride home.
Do you have other questions about how to prepare for breast reconstruction surgery ? Let us know in the comments section below!