It’s been said that as you get older, you won’t regret what you’ve done, but what you haven’t done. It’s easy to stay home and hibernate, and you certainly need time alone to reflect and think, but you also need to connect—with people, with things, with places, and most important, with yourself.
Life is full of abundance and beauty, and it always has exciting adventures for you to discover. Some are as simple as hearing the tinkle of children’s laughter or watching a tulip emerge from the frost. Other experiences, such as camping in the mountains or going to a rock concert, fill all your senses with wonder and delight. Trying something new is stimulating and memorable, and it makes you feel truly alive as it enriches your life.
It’s easy to fall into the rut of staying in the house and watching TV or reading, and the thought of trying new things can be daunting. However, when you’re ready, adventure begins the moment you open your door. New experiences don’t have to be complicated or expensive. Anything you haven’t seen, heard, felt, or tasted is brand new to you. Following are ten simple and inexpensive ideas to try.
- Take a different route when you run errands, and try a new store or dry cleaner.
- Plan a short road trip, and discover an area of your city or county you’ve never seen.
- Drive with some friends or family to a nearby town and park your car, get out, and explore.
- Go window shopping.
- Plant your favorite flowers in your yard or in a window box.
- Call a friend and try a new coffee shop or restaurant. Splurge on food or drink you’ve never tasted before.
- Go to the theater and watch a movie from a genre you’re not familiar with. Try a new snack while you’re there.
- Think about attractions or landmarks your town is famous for. Have you ever seen them? If not, go.
- Take a class in something you’ve always wanted to learn, such as a foreign language, cooking, or writing.
- Imagine yourself doing an activity you’ve always been hesitant to try, such as riding a roller coaster or racing go-karts. Then do it.
Once you start exploring the world around you, you’ll be hooked and want more. What adventures are you ready to try?